You really can’t go wrong with a classic bacon cheeseburger, but sometimes you need to mix it up a bit. Loaded with beer braised onions, sharp cheddar, and of course bacon, this meatloaf is definitely not your momma’s meatloaf (sorry mom).
Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf
Write a review
1 hr 20 min
1 hr 20 min
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3/4 cup TREE BREWING THIRSTY BEAVER AMBER ALE or OLD SKOOL STOUT
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup TASTE OF THE OKANAGAN BACON KETCHUP, divided
- 1 tablespoon TASTE OF THE OKANAGAN MAGIC SEASONING
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large egg
- 8 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 pound bacon, uncooked
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add diced onion and salute until translucent. About 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and allow onions to caramelize for a couple of minutes. Pour in TREE BREWING BEER and simmer until almost all the liquid is absorbed. Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl combine beef, bread crumbs and milk. Pouring milk directly over bread crumbs. Add 2 tablespoons TASTE OF THE OKANAGAN BACON KETCHUP, Worcestershire and steak seasoning and onions. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, crack egg and beat it slightly. Add egg to large bowl with meat mixture.
- Combine well with hands, being careful not to overwork the meat mixture.
- Divide in meat mixture in half. Place first half into 7x10” baking dish and form into a flat meatloaf Gently press the center in to create a rim around the outside of the meatloaf. Add shredded cheese into the center of the meatloaf. Form remaining half of meatloaf in the bowl into a size similar to the meatloaf in the pan. Set on top and press the sides together to seal in the cheese. Form into a loaf shape. You may notice cracks in the loaf. Run your hands under warm water and then across the meatloaf to smooth the cracks out. Set meatloaf aside.
- Top meatloaf with remaining TASTE OF THE OKANAGAN BACON KETCHUP and arrange bacon slices over the top of the meatloaf. Start by wrapping a piece of bacon across the front side and a second piece of bacon across the back side. Arrange remaining bacon over the top. Tuck the ends of the bacon under the meatloaf (this prevents curling).
- Place meatloaf in the oven and bake until bacon is crispy, about 1 hour.
- Remove from oven. Allow to rest uncovered for 20 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Taste of the Okanagan Specialty Foods http://tasteoftheokanagan.com/recipes/