Nothing says “Hello Summer” quite like this gorgeous summer fruit salad. Packed full of height of the season cherries, refreshing watermelon, tart raspberries and sweet strawberries, all topped off with our Cranberry Strawberry Vinaigrette.
Jump to Recipe
It’s hot, hot, hot here in the Okanagan, and I’ll take any excuse not to turn on the oven! Especially when all the fruit is ripe and ready for picking. This beautiful fruit salad isn’t just for looks though, it’s so refreshing and so much better than old school fruit salads where everyone just picks out the good bits. This salad is all the good bits!
What you need to make this summer fruit salad
- Watermelon – Summer watermelon is the best for this recipe. It will make it extra sweet and delicious. Here are a couple tips for picking a good one:
- Your watermelon should feel heavy for it’s size (this means it’s super juicy).
- It should have a nice yellow (almost the color of a slightly ripe banana) splotch on it from where it was resting on the ground.
- Try knocking on it – it should provide a nice “bounce” and have a hollow sound.
- It shouldn’t be shiny.
- Strawberries – You will need strawberries washed and sliced for this recipe.
- Raspberries – Keep them whole and just toss them right in.
- Cherries – This is probably the most time consuming part, pitting all your cherries. But if you want a quick little hack, check out this instagram reel for an easy way to pit cherries.
- Fresh mint – This help bring out the freshness in this salad. Don’t have mint? No problem, you can easily swap in some basil to switch it up.
- Taste of the Okanagan Cranberry Strawberry Vinaigrette – My go-to salad dressing for the summer. It works just as well in a spinach salad as it does with this fruit salad. You’ll seriously be using it on everything this summer.
A few tips when making this salad
- Eat this summer fruit salad immediately after you make it. As this salad sits in the fridge, the fruits continue to release moisture, making the salad soggy and watery. It still tastes good, but the textures are best when served fresh.
- To add a note of saltiness, feel free to add crumbled feta cheese (vegan or regular) to this salad.
- We love the monochrome pink/red berries and watermelon in this salad, but you can absolutely switch it up by adding in different berries like blueberries or blackberries, or even add some grapes or peaches.
Summer Fruit Salad with Cranberry Strawberry Vinaigrette
- 4 cups Watermelon cubed into 1 inch pieces
- 1.5 cups Strawberries Sliced in half or thirds if large
- 1.5 cups Raspberries
- 1.5 cups Cherries pitted and halved
- Fresh mint leaves torn or finely sliced
- Taste of the Okanagan Cranberry Strawberry Vinaigrette
- Prep watermelon and berries and place in a large bowl. Drizzle dressing over top and lightly toss.
- Garnish with some torn mint.