A delicious salad full of autumn flavours. It makes a great accompaniment to your Thanksgiving or Christmas meal and comes together in a snap with the help of pre-washed mixed baby greens.
Fall Harvest Salad
- 4 cups lightly packed mixed baby greens
- 1 firm but ripe Bartlett pears do not peel, quartered lengthwise, cored, and cut into long, thin slices
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 140 g soft goat cheese can subsitute blue cheese
- 1/3 cup toasted or candied walnuts (see below)
- Taste of the Okanagan Cranberry Pear Vinaigrette
- 1 cup walnut halves/pieces
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
For the Candied Walnuts
- Heat a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat, add 1 cup walnuts, 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 1 Tbsp butter.
- Heat over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. When the sugar mixture starts melting, stir constantly until all sugar is melted and nuts are coated.
- Transfer immediately onto a sheet of parchment paper and separate the nuts right away. Once the coating hardens transfer them to a bowl and set aside for your salad.
For the Salad
- Place the mixed greens, onions, and pears in a large bowl.
- Shake the dressing and pour over the salad. Toss to coat evenly.
- Arrange the salad in a large serving bowl. Scatter the cranberries, nuts and crumbled goats cheese over the top. Serve immediately.